27 Oct 2011

First post: Imoinda's strength.

Dear readers, as you can see in the title, my first post is about Imoinda's strength. As you know, last week we took part in a discussion about our first reading, Oroonoko, and one of the topics we dealt with was the weakness of women. Some people thought that Imoinda is a weak woman because she is always obeying Oroonoko's orders and, in a way, she is always behind him, she does not think for herself. In my opinion, this is not true, and I would even say that she is stronger than Oroonoko. Now, I give you my reasons.
Firstly, she is doubly enslaved. Once, she is enslaved by her king, Oroonoko's grandfather, who falls in love with her and for this reason, he wants to marry her. And in this situation, Imoinda shows her strength by keeping her virginity until Oroonoko arrives at the Otan, although she knows that if the king catches them, they will probably die.
Secondly, she is the person who tries to kill the governor by shooting a poisoned arrow when the slave revolt takes place. Although she hurts him in the shoulder, she does not kill him because an Indian woman sucks the poison. This in an heroic act because even not Oroonoko dares to do it.
And finally, she is a strong woman because she is the only one who remains with Oroonoko till the end of her life and the only one who never betrays him. She shows her strength again when she agrees to be killed by her husband for not being a slave anymore.
To conclude,  I say that with these three reasons I think I have proved that Imoinda is not a weak woman but the opposite.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Well done, Ana. I think you show enough evidence to prove Imoinda can be read as a strong woman. I also like your style when addressing your potential audience.

In a scale of 5, I'm giving you a 4.

Please correct the following:
the strength of Imoinda
because even not Oroonoko dare do it.